Kenya Coast National Polytechnic formerly Mombasa Technical Training Institute (Mombasa TTI) is located in the Coastal town of Mombasa. It was established in 1950 as a Technical High School.
Upon the introduction of the 8-4-4 system of education, it was elevated to a middle level technical college in 1984 to provide technical training for the middle level man power for both the private and public sectors of the economy. The trainees in the Polytechnic are drawn from fresh secondary school leavers, graduates from other tertiary institutions, employees on part-time release basis and the informal (Jua Kali) sector.
Kenya Coast National Polytechnic offers courses at Artisan, Craft and Diploma levels, plus a wide range of short-term certificate courses in the part-time program. All the courses offered at Craft and Diploma levels incorporate Entrepreneurship Training and Industrial Attachment to prepare the trainees for formal and self-employment. Kenya Coast National Polytechnic is a member of the Kenya Association of Technical Training Institutions (KATTI). Kenya Coast National Polytechnic has seen tremendous growth in terms of courses offered and student enrollment from an initial population of 23 students and 24 teaching staff in 1990 to over 5000 students and over 100 teaching staff presently.